Why are there so many articles on the same topic? This makes it so easy and quick to understand.
I have been playing around with Outlook. Figured out how to add my Hotmail account into it, that was a pain. Then found out that it wasn’t deleting the emails in the Hotmail account. Apparently there’s different types of email settings POP and IMAP, then there’s the other thing dealing with local and web idk I got lost reading up on it. Then I get on to the Hotmail, and there’s another thing that’s its telling me and all the emails are gone, but they are apparently stored on my computer. Mmm… I gave up on it and will figure it out later.
But then it’s got me thinking, there is just way too much technology, it’s really cramping up my style. Taking four classes this semester, Applied Cal, Political Science, Business Stats and a Fitness class. I don’t want to say how I feel about the classes just yet, don’t want to jinx myself.
But take a look at this…
Math class – uses an additional service for the homework and practice questions (1st new program)
Fitness class – uses an additional service for the homework, has an e-text, has the fitness labs (2nd new program)
Biz Stat – lectures, and excel
Political Science – old fashion lectures, discussions
Not only with some of the classes you need to purchase the key card for it ( I could have bought another book with what I’ve spent on it on the key cards.) But then you have the educational software that the college uses, before it was something, then something else, now it’s the Desire2Learn suite. No wonder so many students find it hard to adapt.
I’m fine using all of the new technology to learn and do daily tasks, but where does it stop? How many more education programs does one have to learn to use by the time they are finished with college? It has gotten to be almost overwhelming. But then, where would we be without it?
And yet, technology doesn’t change… using an old Thinkpad T60 to do all this new learning with.
Have you ever Googled yourself? Big mistake you’re thinking.
Well, no not really, most of the stuff that I found consists of things that I knew were there, blogs, social media etc. I’ve gone to some of those sites where you search for a “long-lost friend or relative.” And have found myself there. One of the big ones even had a street map of where I lived and I saw a photo of my car there. Now do understand, that some stuff is public information, such as purchases of homes, marriages or deaths.
Do take in mind that there are some sites that are 3rd party searches, where the site lists information collected from the major databases and public records. Others are the actual databases themselves and those are the ones that you have to send actual information to.
Let’s start off with the easier ones, they were done almost immediately (within a few minutes). I will do another posting on the sites that require more time and update them later.
Wasn’t really too bad. The sheet that was emailed to me said to “to find your name and click on it. On the Details page, scroll down to the bottom of the page. Look for the link that says Remove this listing. Click on that link and follow the instructions to remove your listing.”
I just put in my first and last name. It had my parents address and number listed. I clicked on it and there wasn’t a link to “Remove this listing.”
Instead, I had to make my profile with just my first and last name with email account. From there I was able to delete the listing. They sent me and email to verify. Got the email pretty quickly and verified to delete the listing. After a few minutes, I did a search and only my profile that I set up was listed, which of course is nothing because I didn’t enter information into my profile.
So with whitepages.com — easy as making that first cup of coffee in the morning.
Searched my last and full name without state and found that there were 6 of me. I clicked on my current location. Ummm… no I didn’t like it, gave a map and pic of where I live, house and there was even my car. Nope don’t think so. So here’s what you do.
- Start another tab and go to spokeo.com/optout
- Copy and paste the URL from the other tab onto the “Removing Your Listing from Spokeo “ page. Enter you email address, the verification numbers and you’ll see a message from Spokeo with the subject reading “Spokeo Directory Removal Confirmation #”. Mine showed up in the inbox and not junk, but just check if you don’t see within a few minutes.
- So go ahead and open it up, click on the link that it gives you then you’ll go back to the “Removing Your Listing from Spokeo” page but it’ll read. This directory listing has been removed.
- Ta-dah Done… except if you are like me and have quite a few of them.
Spokeo = easy An additional note… when I went back and did a search, Spokeo said there were 5 of me found, but when I went to the next tab it said no profiles were found. So don’t be alarmed. It was deleted.
- Put your first and last name. I didn’t fill in the city and searched all states. I know there is one of me and only one listing came up.
- Since there was just one, click it or narrow it down. Now most of the stuff that you are able to click on will just transfer you to Intellus. There’s on Opt Out button. Click it, you know you want to.
- On the next page. Everything that was listed is put into an auto form. For me it was name and address. Under the Removal Reason I did “General Privacy Concerns” Put the code word in and hit “Remove Me.”
- Next came up another page. Submission Accepted and allow 1 business day for request to be processed.
Onto the more time consuming ones
This one I’ve seen and heard ads everywhere for this and this takes a little time.
- Go to www.ussearch.com/consumer/ala/landing.do?did=538
- Put in your information. And click on the right one. It’ll tell you to print the page and send it. Note how it says it’ll take 7-14 days. Well, that’s because it’s from the true database and not from a 3rd party search engine like the easier ones.
(I tried using the webpages links to actually go to the above page, but got tired of having all sorts of lost pages and pages up. I will have to try to find it later.)